Monday, September 15, 2008

Yikes, Ike!

On Sunday, after hurricane Ike had already given it's worst to folks down South, we heard that the forecast for us was lots of rain and strong winds. It didn't sound like anything out of the ordinary from what we're used to, but when we saw the storm system on the radar and saw how huge it still was, even though it hadn't quite reached us yet, we felt like we should stay home from church instead of being out driving in any sudden strong winds. (It takes 20-30 minutes to drive to church) Well, I'm glad we did, because sure enough, our area got hit by some pretty strong wind gusts. Our house is fine, no damage, but look what happened in our backyard- our trampoline was lifted up and flipped over onto the other side of our yard, right on top of our tomato patch!




I'm just glad that it did not get flipped into our house! Good thing we had it far away from the house. The trampoline is now bent into a slight curve, because it landed hard on the edge of the ditch that runs through our property. Our kids and the neighborhood kids were sad when they saw what happened, because everyone loves to jump on it, but hopefully Matt can figure out how to get it usable again!

I'm sad about losing several tomato plants, because fresh, salted tomatoes actually have been the #1 food I have craved this pregnancy, but luckily, at least half of the tomato plants survived, along with the jalapeno plant, so Matt can keep making his delicious homemade salsa!

4 comments:

Lisa Truman said...

That's just crazy! I can't even imagine being in a storm like that. Good thing I live in good ol AZ! Monsoons are the biggest excitment and they're notheing compared to what you experienced. Glad you guys stayed home and are safe! :)

Amber said...

Wow! I am sorry!! That would scare me silly!!! I hope you get the tramp fixed soon.

Hiatt Family said...

Hey, thanks so much for your comment on Jackson's blog. And yes...I definitely remember you guys. I can't believe how big your kids are! It's crazy. I'm glad that you guys survived the storm!!!

Lucinda said...

I'm glad you guys are okay! That's so crazy about the tramp - hopefully Matt will be able to fix it!