Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy Birthday WesLee!

Six years ago…you were born, my little tiny preemie baby…you were so small compared to your big brother who had been born overdue! It was love at first sight as soon as I saw you.

You weren’t all squished looking like most newborns and you had that perfectly shaped c-section head. They brought you over by my head and I remember kissing you before they took you away to the NICU. Everyone seemed so scared for you, but I knew the whole time you would be fine and taken care of.

Each year when your birthday comes around, the memories flood my heart. You have had such an influence on this family. The circumstances surrounding your birth and the lessons learned from that time have changed our hearts so much.

I distinctly remember how it felt when I was carrying you, feeling you move inside of me. I remember the doctors being so worried about us, but the whole time, for some reason, I knew everything would be all right, I can truly say I never worried at all. You sure showed them, you were able to go home less than a week after you were born, rather than stay for at least a month like they thought you would. At one point while you were in the hospital, you had 3 IVs: one in your belly button, one in your right arm and one on the top of your head…as well as that tube down your throat and also the heart rate and breathing monitors hooked up to you. They had you on pain meds so that you wouldn’t have to feel the pain of it all. You had so many things hooked up to you that it was impossible to hold you for the first few days. They finally removed the tube, and I got to hold you for the first time. What a very special moment that was. They kept you on oxygen for a couple more days, and you spent a good deal of time under the biliruben lights. I know this sounds silly, but I remember that you were so small when you were born that you had no butt cheeks! You grew so fast, you quickly got very chubby! Whenever I trim your perfectly formed nails I remember that when you were born those nails were not completely developed yet. But then you surprised us by walking at 8 ½ months! You have always been a very strong kid!

To me, you are still the same, just bigger. Your face looks exactly the same to me, how your eyes sparkle when you smile...


We are so glad you are a part of our family. I feel so blessed to have you in my life. We love you!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Happy Birthday WesLee!!! What a great boy you have!
I am really glad to hear that you are feeling better.